Dr. Xiangyang 'Cheyenne' Xie
Research Interests and Primary Goals
My research interests focuses on:
- reservoir characterization and modeling
- basin analysis and sequence architecture
- regional tectonics and sedimentation.
My primary goals include:
- combining outcrop and subsurface data to document sandstone reservoir characteristics, quality, and potential
- using multidisciplinary approach to understand tectonic processes impact and control to basin evolution and stratigraphy.
Some of my projects include:
- 2D/3D seismic interpretation
- well log interpretation and correlation
- outcrop measurements, sandstone petrology
- geostatistical analysis and reservoir stochastic modeling
- depositional systems and facies analysis
- subsidence analysis and basin modeling
- provenance studies
- U-Pb zircon geochronology
- field mapping
- Xie, Xiangyang, Heller, Paul, 2009. Plate tectonics and basin subsidence history, GSA Bulletin, January, Vol. 121, No.1-2, p. 55-64.
- Xie, Xiangyang, Mann, Paul, Escalona, Alejandro, 2010. Provenance, tectonics, and paleogeography reconstructions: Eocene northern South America constrained by U-Pb detrital zircon geochronology, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, March, Vol. 291, No.1-4, p. 159-171
- Jiang, S., Wang, H., Cai, D., Xie, Xiangyang, Guo, H., 2011. Characteristics of the Tan-Lu Strike-Slip Fault and its Controls on Hydrocarbon Accumulation in the Liaodong Bay Sub-Basin, Bohai Bay Basin, China, Advances in Petroleum Exploration and Development, December, Vol.2, No.2, p. 1-11
- Xie, Xiangyang, Heller, Paul L., 2013. U-Pb detrital zircon geochronology and its implications: The early Late Triassic Yanchang Formation, south Ordos Basin, China. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, March, Vol. 64, p. 86-98.
- Xie, Xiangyang, Mann, Paul, 2014. U-Pb detrital zircon age patterns of Cenozoic clastic sedimentary rocks in Trinidad and its implications. Sedimentary Geology, June, Vol. 307, p. 7-16.
- Xie, Xiangyang, 2016. Provenance and sediment dispersal of the Triassic Yanchang Formation, southwest Ordos Basin, China, and its implications. Sedimentary Geology, Vol. 335, p. 1-16.
- Xie, Xiangyang, Cains, Will, Walter, Manger L., 2016, U-Pb Detrital Zircon Evidence of Transcontinental Sediment Dispersal: Provenance of Late Mississippian Wedington Sandstone member, NW Arkansas. International Geology Review, Vol. 58, p. 1951-1966.
- Xie, Xiangyang, O’Connor, Patrick, Alsleben, Helge, 2016, Carboniferous sediment dispersal in the Appalachian-Ouachita juncture: Provenance of selected late Mississippian sandstones in the Black Warrior Basin, Mississippi, United States. Sedimentary Geology, Vol. 342, p. 191-201.
- Ohood B., Alsalem, Fan, Majie and Xie, Xiangyang, 2017, Late Paleozoic subsidence and burial history of the Fort Worth Basin. American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin, Vol. 101, no.11, p. 1813-1833.
- Ren, Wang, Shi, Wanzhong, Xie, Xiangyang, Wang, Liaoliang, Busbey, Arthur B., Manger, Walter L., and Xia, Zhimin, 2017, Hydrothermal indications of Early Cretaceous red beds in lacustrine successions, North Yellow Sea Basin, eastern China. Marine and Petroleum Geology, Vol. 88, Supplement C, p. 739-755.
- Ohood B., Alsalem, Fan, Majie, Zamora, Juan, Xie, Xiangyang, and Griffin, William R., 2017, Paleozoic sediment dispersal before and during the collision between Laurentia and Gondwana in the Fort Worth Basin, USA. Geosphere, Vol. 14, no. 1. doi: 10.1130/GES01480.1
- Ren, Wang Ren, Shi, Wanzhong, Xie, Xiangyang, Wang, Liaoliang, Manger, Walter L., Busbey, Arthur B., and Xu, Qinghai, 2017, Lower Cretaceous lacustrine successions, North Yellow Sea Basin, eastern China: Rift basin sequence stratigraphy and stacking patterns in response to magmatic activity. Marine and Petroleum Geology, Vol. 88, Supplement C, p. 531-550.
- Xie, Xiangyang Xie, Anthony, John M., and Busbey, Arthur B., 2018, Provenance of Permian Delaware Mountain Group, central and southern Delaware Basin, and implications of sediment dispersal pathway near the southwestern terminus of Pangea. International Geology Review. In press.
- Xie, Xiangyang Xie, Buratowski, Greg, Manger, Walter L., and Zachry, Doy, 2018, U-Pb detrital zircon dating of the middle Bloyd sandstone (Morrowan) of northern Arkansas, with implications of Early Pennsylvanian sediment dispersal across Laurentia. Journal of Sedimentary Research. Accepted pending revision.
Supervised Graduate Students (2010 to present)
- Taylor Friesenhahn, MS student at the University of Arkansas, 2010-2012, employed with ConocoPhillips, Houston, TX
- Elvis Bello, MS student at the University of Arkansas, current PhD candidate at the University of Arkansas
- Brett Whitman, MS student at the University of Arkansas, 2011-2013, employed with Marathon Oil Corporation, Houston, TX
- William Cains, MS student at the University of Arkansas, 2012-2013, employed with Devon Energy, Oklahoma City, OK
- Greg Buratowski, MS student at the University of Arkansas, 2012-2014, employed with Marathon Oil Corporation, Houston, TX
- John Anthony, MS student at Texas Christian University, 2013-2015, employed with Concho Resources, Midland, TX
- Patrick O’Connor, MS student at Texas Christian University, 2013-2015, employed with Hunt Oil, Dallas, TX
- Robert Cepero, MS geology at Texas Christian University, 2014-2016, employed with MorningStar Partners LP, Fort Worth, TX
- Matt Linden (co-supervising), MS geology at Texas Christian University, 2014-2016, employed with Pioneer Natural Resources, Irving, TX
- Ali Ramos Gomez, MS geology at Texas Christian University, 2015-2017, employed with Lhoist North America, Nashville, TN
- Preston McGuire, MS geology at Texas Christian University, 2015-2017, employed with Marsh Operating Company, Dallas, TX
- Jonathon Weiss, MS geology at Texas Christian University, 2015-2017, employed with Marathon Oil Corporation, Houston, TX
- Qinghai Xu, 2015-2016, visiting PhD student from China University of Geosciences (Wuhan), graduated in fall, 2017. Currently a faculty member of Changjiang University, China
- Ren Wang, 2016-2017, visiting PhD student from China University of Geosciences (Wuhan), in progress, expecting to graduate in December 2018
- Christopher Garza, MS geology at Texas Christian University, in progress, expecting to graduate in May 2019
- Brendan Talbert, MS geology at Texas Christian University, in progress, expecting to graduate in May 2019
- Cheng Cheng, 2017-2018, visiting PhD student from Hefei Technology University, in progress, expecting to graduate in December 2019
- Petroleum Geology
- Subsurface Geological data
- Fundamentals of subsurface geology
- AAPG Imperial Barrel Award (IBA) competition
- Globe Tectonics and Basin Analysis (co-teaching with Dr. Alsleben)
- Prospect to Production (assisting Prof. Brogdon)
I am always looking for motivated MS students to work on Tectonics and Sedimentation projects in central China and South America; Basin analysis projects in mid-continental region; and Reservoir characterization and older field re-evaluation projects in Texas and Oklahoma. If you are interested, please contact me (email: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: 817-257-4395) for more details.